The New York Giants will have to wait another week to qualify NFC Playoffs After Saturday’s 27-24 loss to the Minnesota Vikings.
Minnesota (12-3) won the game on placekicker Greg Joseph’s 61-yard field goal on the final play of the game. On the previous play, the Vikings faced third-and-11, but star wide receiver Justin Jefferson gained 17 yards on a screen pass to put Joseph in bounds.
The Giants (8-6-1) tied the game with 2:01 left when Saquon Barkley went 27 yards for a touchdown on fourth-and-2, then Daniel Jones hit Daniel Bellinger for a two-point conversion.
The Seattle Seahawks (7-8) lost to the Kansas City Chiefs 27-24 and the Detroit Lions (7-8) lost to the Carolina Panthers 37-23 to clinch a playoff spot with a Giants win. However, they will have to wait at least another week to secure their first playoff spot since 2016.
The Giants committed two turnovers, an interception and a fumble, which took away scoring chances. Minnesota’s Josh Metellus blocked Jaime Gillen’s pass with 4:10 left. That set up the Vikings at the Giants’ 29-yard line and led to a 17-yard Kirk Cousins touchdown run by Justin Jefferson that gave Minnesota a 24-16 lead with 3:00 left.
The Giants committed seven penalties for 63 yards, while Minnesota had just two for 14 yards.
“Guys were resilient but you can’t make those mistakes,” Giants coach Brian Daboll said. “A fumble cost three points. An interception cost at least three points.
Minnesota is now 11-0 in one-score games. The Giants are 8-3-1 in those games.
- Daniel Jones completed 30 of 42 passes for 334 yards with a touchdown and an interception. He also rushed four times for 34 yards.
- Saquon Barkley carried 14 times for 84 yards, including that 27-yard touchdown run. Barkley had eight receptions for 49 yards.
- Isaiah Hodgins had eight receptions for 89 yards.
- Richie James had eight receptions for 90 yards, but had two crucial fourth-quarter drops.
- Edge defender Aziz Ojulari went off in the first half with an ankle injury. Ojulari had a sack and a tackle for loss before leaving the game. He’s had at least a half-sack in four straight games. Ojulari, who dealt with quad injuries early in the season, has only played in six games.
Goblins are inactive
CB Adoree’ Jackson (knee)
OL Shane Lemieux (toe).
WR David Sills
CB Rodarius Williams
OL Jack Anderson
The Giants play their final home game of the 2022-23 NFL season next Sunday, January 1, 2023. Indianapolis Colts. Game time is 1 pm